Saturday, April 27, 2013

Reseach Update (April 27, 2013)

Diligence Technologies, Inc., West Tennessee

We have corn (at least in places)!  Cool, wet weather has slowed corn emergence in our plots, but our earliest planted corn is out of the ground.  It is showing a little frost damage in places, but I don't think it will have a long-term negative impact.  While we are happy to see some plants above-ground, most of our corn is still slowly working its way to the surface.  Our only remaining corn trials are those that are delayed for reasons other than weather.

Wheat fungicide applications should wrap up next week if the weather permits.

With all the rain and cool temperatures, it is hard to believe that cotton planting time has arrived in west Tennessee.  The calendar says its time to plant, but it remains to be seen when we will actually be able to get in the field.

Thanks to Brandon Law of Actagro for stopping by for a tour of some wheat work this week.

Please give me a call with your projects and protocol ideas.  We have plenty of time to talk (at least until the rain lets up).

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Research Update (April 18, 2013)

This week was the race to plant corn trials.  With heavy rain late last week and more predicted today, we had to short window to get as many trials going as possible.  We did manage to get most of the corn trials in the ground.  The few currently remaining are largely on hold by choice (to be intentionally planted later in the season).
Burndown work continues to progress.  Several trials are underway while others are to be initiated soon (mostly those focusing on larger horseweed).
Like late last week, field work has come to a stop as rain moved into the area tonight (about an inch already with more expected before morning).  Additional planting will be on hold until at least early next week.
There is still time to work in any late burndown trials that might be out there.  Cotton and soybeans trials will be starting soon, with some work beginning as early as next week.
Proverbs 12:27 ... the substance of the diligent man is precious.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Progress Update

This post might better be titled "Lack of Progress Update".  We received an additional 3.4 inches of rain with cooling temperatures bringing planting and field work to a halt.  It will be early next week before we can consider corn planting again.

We are in the middle of burndown trial season at this point.  Several trials have been established with more to go (mostly depending on the size of the horseweed being targeted).

Planning to wade into the wheat tomorrow for scheduled aphid counts.

Still time to get put out burndown, wheat fungicide, and corn trials if anyone has any protocols that have not found a home yet.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Season Progress:

Corn planting is off to slow start.  Cool temperatures along with frequent rains  have delayed land preparation and planting.  Hope to have a few good days early this week for field work, but rain is expected again by Wednesday night.

Research Opportunities:

Wheat growth has been slow this spring, meaning that we still have time for anyone needing wheat fungicide trials.  We generally expect sceptoria leaf spot and fusarium head scab.  If we start planning now, we can still make applications by the flag leaf stage.

We have horseweed (glyphosate resistant) as well as other burndown weeds that can be evaluated in burndown trials.  We need to get these going pretty quickly before the horseweed gets too large.

With the delayed corn planting for west Tennessee this season, we still have time to set up corn trials and be pretty much on the same schedule as everyone else.  Let me know if you have any last-moment corn needs.